Monday, January 2, 2012

So It Begins

New year, new goals, new post, new outlook. Everything seems to start over with the year. My resolutions this year (as challenged by the lovely Bailey) are to get more organized, to write half a million words (thank you, Mandy, for the motivation and the word count), and to just simply be happier.

This year will be no different than any other year in the fact that this will be a year of big changes. My fiance has now graduated from college (a feat that I am extremely proud of him for) and we will be getting married in the next six months. I will soon be taking the dental admissions test and will be applying to dental schools. My cousin and his wife have a baby due at the beginning of April and I am super excited to no longer be the baby of the family. There will be no Potter movies or books to look forward to this year, but we have Pottermore. There will be no more Hogwarts Radio podcast episodes unless they do something special.

Here is my segue: this is a year of changes. Changes are important. A change can send a story in any possible (and sometimes the previously impossible) way. See what I did there? I love segues.

So what about change? Well, I had one thought after reading the Hunger Games that changed the future of my story forever. I will probably have to completely rewrite my entire story. The simple plot that I began with is still there but the details are all completely different. I am excited. So my advice for this week is not only for your story but for your life. Don't be afraid of change. Pretty simple and cliche but very important. I am not saying all change is good, but I certainly believe that it is for the better. Even the bad changes can teach us something. So open your heart and your mind to change. You never know what will happen.

Author: David Foster Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment