Thursday, January 19, 2012

Censorship is *****

As you noticed, there was no post yesterday on the blog. No, this wasn't me being an airhead and forgetting to post. Again. It was decided that I wouldn't post as part of the strike against the Protection IP Act and SOPA. Not only will these laws destroy the internet, but they also violate America's First Amendment of Freedom Of Speech.

Going on that same topic, Censorship *****.

Plain and simple. We know that censorship is part of being an author and life in general. You have to censor yourself with everything you do. Growing up in a very conservative area, I have had to censor myself all my life. It's really a difficult thing to do, but censorship is different from disagreeing.

As a writer, I write about very controversial topics. Knowing I'll have my books challenged and possibly banned is fine by me. The only issue I have with it is that it's forcing your own opinion on someone else. Taking books out of a library means that children can't read a work of classic literacy like Catcher In the Rye or authors from JK Rowling to Laurie Halse Anderson. It's like saying I can't have an opinion.



America is not the only place affected by PIPA. Every social media site like Facebook, Tumblr, sites like Blogger and Wikipedia are threatened. The entire world will suffer if this vote passes. Please, go onto http://americancensorship.org/ and sign the petition. Even if you're not from America, your voice can still matter just by scrolling down a little further and submitting your e-mail.

Alright, my rant is over. Sorry, but this is a sensitive topic for me and I know it is for everyone else as well. For my gurrrls, what's your opinion on censorship?

Author: None for today because Mandy's running late and should already be out of the house while she's writing this.

EDIT: SOPA and PIPA have been stopped thanks to Obama saying that he wouldn't support the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment