Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bite Off What You Can Chew

Since my last blog, all of your bloggers have set word goals for 2012. An author friend of mine decided to do a Year of a Million Words. A few days later, Mandy messaged me saying, "Hey, do something insanely crazy with me this year?" It turns out Mandy had spoken to this author friend and had decided to do this challenge as well. Not content with that, she wanted to drag me into it, too. As you can tell by our word counts on the side of the page, I am not going to be doing this challenge. I blatantly refused. 


Now, now, let me explain. I have full-time college and a GPA to worry about. Not to mention the two sites I work on, not to mention the podcast I do, not to mention my social life. I also may be getting a job this semester. Last semester I barely had time to sleep. There is no way that I can handle 2400 words a day. It's just not going to happen and I am not going to set this goal for myself when I know I'm going to fail. After Mandy said I had to, I decided to set my word goal at 150,000. It is a small, but manageable number for the year and I know I can handle it. If I surpass the goal, that will be great.  


The point of all this is to talk about how we should never take on more than we can handle. I write because I love it and if I set that million word goal, I'm going to have to force myself to write each day. I don't know about you, but when I have to do something, I don't want to do it anymore. That is what would happen with my writing if that goal was set and I don't want to resent it. 


So everyone, keep that in mind. We all love writing here, but don't feel like you have to force yourself to write. Writing is about you, keep it that way. You know what you can handle. Don't do anything more or anything less. Much love, Amy! xo


Author: Cory Doctorow

No comments:

Post a Comment