Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Why Do You Always Have To Do Something Different?"

This is what my high school French teacher said to me one day after reading an essay of mine in class. When I sat down to think about what I would write about in response to Mandy's challenge, this memory is the first thing that came to my mind. I have decided to be different, like my teacher said I always had to be. The rebel, if you will. Just because I can. *insert evil laugh here*

In all seriousness, I am not accepting Mandy's challenge, but not because I just feel like it, or because I want to annoy Mandy by defying her (which is not to say that's not a bonus). I decided that instead of racking my brain to find a song (or more) that I hadn't even thought about before this challenge, I would be truthful. That is what this blog is about, after all. We're here to share the ways we each write, in the hope that we can help or maybe even inspire someone out there who may be reading this. That being said, I will keep to the theme of music.

When I'm writing, I don't consider music. I never find myself writing a scene and thinking of a song that fits it perfectly, and I don't hear a song that immediately brings my writing to mind. When I'm writing, I write. When I'm listening to music, I listen to music. I cannot recall a time where I ever tried to merge them and make one fit perfectly with the other. I just don't associate music with my writing and I don't try to. That's not to say that people who do have songs that they think fit their stories tried to make it so. Although some do, I know that many just find that the mix comes naturally to them. That's alright. Everyone's different and we all have ways that we like to approach these things.

That being said, I do listen to music while writing. "What?! But you just said-?!" I know, I know! This seems kind of counter-productive but I think it makes sense. I don't associate music with my story, but I do like to have music playing while I write. I've got a writing playlist and I find that it's most helpful when it's full of songs that I know front and back. This is because I know the music so well that it's enjoyable but at the same time, it isn't distracting. My mind is so accustomed to the songs, there is nothing to distract my attention from the writing. Some of the artists that are in this playlist of mine are The Script, Paramore, Starkid, Jim and the Povolos, Darren Criss, Taylor Swift, and Adele. Lately, I've been having Jim and the Povolos on more than anything, just because their sound is so different and it's got a great vibe without distracting me.

Because Mandy will kill me if I don't put Youtube links in (she's obsessed with Youtube links. Just go see her comment on Sydney's post), I'm going to put in links right here to the top 3 most played songs on my writing playlist.

First up is a song called Don't Go, by Jim and the Povolos. I love this song, and this band.


Same band, different song. This one is called Dream and it's awesome. 


Third is a song by Paramore called Fences. It's pretty fast-paced and I love the lyrics. It's got a great energy to it and pumps me, if that makes sense. 




I don't want to overload you guys with videos so I'll stop there! Closely following these three for most played on my writing playlist are: Guys Like Potter by Team Starkid; Misery by Maroon 5, but sung by Darren Criss; Somewhere Only We Know by Keane, but sung by the Warblers; Set Fire To The Rain by Adele; Science and Faith by the Script; Last Kiss by Taylor Swift; and an assortment of other songs!

So there you have it! That is my take on this particular topic. We're all different, and we all have things that are helpful for us, and things we can just do without. So, while I could have found a song to fit with my story, I thought I'd share this instead. Who knows? Maybe there's someone reading this--after reading the posts from my friends all week--and saying, "Thank God, I'm not the only one who doesn't consider music when writing." I'd be rather happy if that's the case; I know I love finding out I'm not alone in the way I think about certain things. Leave me a comment and let me know!

P.S. If you haven't already, go check out Mandy's post! Darren Criss singing Somewhere Only We Know is rather addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment