Friday, December 2, 2011

Background Noise

I'll admit, when I say Mandy's challenge, I was feeling a little overwhelmed. While I listen to music almost 24/7, I never really seem to pay attention to whats playing. It's just background noise; I don't like it when it's quiet. So trying to find a song that inspires my writing was a little difficult for me. I thought about it for a whole week (I was a bit happy that I have the last post of the week), and finally came up with a few songs that keep me going when my fingers run dry of ideas to put on my virtual page.

First up is "Secrets" by One Republic. I think this song really relates to writing because when you write, you're telling all of your characters' secrets, and no one is going to know what to think of your characters unless you give them a something to base their decisions on. Getting to know your characters and learning all of their secrets is a crucial part of the writing process; if you don't know your characters, no one ever will. So you have to divulge a few of their precious secrets to the world.

Second I picked "Not Like the Movies" by Katy Perry. I simply smiled when this song came up, because when books get adapted to movies, the two are never the same. Occasionally when I write, I wonder what it would be like to have one of my books get a film adaptation, but I quickly silence the thought, thinking I could never write something as amazing as Harry Potter or The Hunger Games (I don't have much confidence in myself). But this song always gets me thinking of who I'd like to portray my characters, what would be changed, etc. This song gets my imagination going.

The final song I picked is "What You Want" by Evanescence. This song reminds me that no matter where my story heads, I', writing for myself, and no one else. I can write what I want, when I want, because I want to. Like J.K. Rowling, I don't want to write for others, I want to write for myself, because I feel like it. Writing should never be something that gets forced upon people. And so this song always reminds me to always keep the story going how I want it, no matter what.

And I only have one more thing to say, directed at Mandy: bring on more challenges!

Love you all! <3:Dx

No comments:

Post a Comment