Friday, December 23, 2011

The chaos of Christmas

When I first read Marissa's post on Monday, I had the perfect idea for what I was going to write about. Then the next day, Sydney wrote about presents, and I had to start thinking about what else I could tie into writing that had to do with Christmas. I went through a lot of things in my mind (even a nice warm fireplace!) before I decided that I was going to write about shopping for presents. I felt I could do that some form of justice. So here it goes.

I find writing to be extremely similar to shopping for presents. You either know what you're looking for, or you don't. Or in the case of writing, I suppose you know where your story is going, or you're just waiting to see where the words take you. I know whenever I go out shopping for Christmas presents (I usually start around October) I usually don't know what I'm going to get anyone. I'm just fishing for ideas. That's what I feel I do whenever I read a really good book. It inspires me with ideas for my own writing, and similar elements usually find a way to trickle themselves into my work. And with shopping, I'll eventually get some kind of ideas for what I want to get people. Then I start to make a list of what I'm going to get everyone. In my writing, I guess that'd be my VERY rough outline, that's pretty much just what my story will be about. I'm not one to outline at all unless it's required.

After making my list, it's usually around Thanksgiving time that I finally start to figure out where I can get what I want for people at the best bargains. It's a family tradition to sit around while the turkey is cooking and shop the Black Friday ads. That's usually where I come up with any last minute ideas for gifts. It's actually where I got the idea for my gurrrls' presents. And yes, I am one of those insane people who go to stores and wait outside for them to open at all ungodly hours of the night/morning. I compare Black Friday to the days before I actually sit down and start writing. I'm still trying to come up with any last minute plot ideas before I start.

Then December comes and Christmas comes ever closer until it seems as though it's snuck up on us (heck, last week Christmas felt so far away, and now it's 2 days away!). Christmas Eve is typically the last day to get all of the presents you haven't gotten yet, or more likely forgot to get. In my family we celebrate on Christmas Eve, so today's our last day (and yes, my mom and I are heading out later today to finish our shopping). For writing, I feel Christmas is like the deadline that's looming over your head. It seems so far away until one morning you wake up and it's right on top of you. Everything becomes chaotic and it feels like it's going to be impossible to finish anything. It can be a publisher's deadline, or your own personal deadline. But deadlines always find a way of sneaking up on us, no matter what. So I always try to get the majority of the work out of the way early (in both shopping and writing), so that if the "deadlines" do sneak up on me, at least I'm close to being finished.

I'm sure I could come up with more ways that writing relates to Christmas shopping, but I don't want to be a bore. But I do have one more thing before I go, a challenge to my gurrrls, and myself as well, because I don't have an answer for my question yet either. I want them to write about their New Year's resolutions. I'll be looking forward to seeing what we're all going to resolve to do. :)

My author: H. P. Lovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment