Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Outlining

I don't like this topic, but this seemed like a good time to talk about it. Outlining to me is the equivalent to hell when it comes to writing. I enjoy writing by the seat of my pants and though I know where I'll eventually end up, it's fun to have surprises even as the author. I like being in the mindset of my characters and feeling what they're feeling as I experience things with them.

That being said, I'm currently attempting to outline a story. It's not the one the other girls know of, though Marissa does know more about it than anyone else. It started out as one thing and turned into something completely different. The only problem with that is that I had known exactly how it would turn out but this one, I know what happens in chapter one and that's it. I want to know every detail of this story so I can do all the research I need to.

My outline is only done through chapter 2, but at least I'm attempting it, right?

I do know that a lot of authors say that outlines are a writer's best friend. However, I've always wondered how to exactly do it. You have the snowflake method, you can find JK Rowling's outline for Order of the Phoenix, you can find different ways to outline if you google the term "novel outline writing format" and it comes up with over 52 million hits, there's even software to help you. I have yet to find an outline format that helps me.

Therefore, I have a question for all of my co-bloggers. Do you outline? If so, what method do you use?

Before I sign off, for who we write like, I am proud to say that I have gotten Stephen King. Jealous?

No comments:

Post a Comment