Monday, December 5, 2011

Timing

So I grab my computer for the first time all day and I begin to decide what to do first. research a project due tomorrow night? Check Facebook? Log on to skype? I look at the bottom corner of my screen to check the time. 11:43pm. It's still Monday. Monday? MONDAY! I was supposed to blog today! I've got time...

There are few things more important than timing. Good timing, bad timing, missed times, times yet to come. Whatever kind of time it is, it is probably very important to your story (I rock at segways). Whether there is a lull in your character's life or the next eight pages are nothing but action-packed, tension-causing, edge-of-your-seat kind of environment, timing is everything. Sometimes you need to time the release of information just right, whether its to your audience or your character. Revealing something too early can cause your story to end too quickly. Too late and you are boring or frustrating the reader. You have to time things just right so that the story flows well and keeps your reader interested in what is happening. Think about the cause and effect of your timing. Where can you go from here? How far can you go? Almost everything in your story line will rely on what information is presented and when.

Endings are important to time, too. Go too long and people might give up. Cut it short and infuriate readers with loose ends. It depends on whether you want to write another book or if you want to wrap things up completely or maybe just leave them with something to ponder or stew over. On that note, I think it's time to end this post. And with one minute to spare before Tuesday. I am just that good :)



PS So Mandy showed us this site and I think I am going to post my author each week. Mostly for myself so ignore this if you wish.

Author: Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment