Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm Not That Fond Of You

Woahhh! Can it be? A post? From me?! Despite the fact that I have not posted in ages, it is really me! I have not posted in such a long time. I'll get to that in a minute, but first I'm going to address what has motivated me to post today. I'm being bribed by Mandy, we all are. On time posts from all of us for two weeks, and we get chapters from her story. I'm doing this, we all are, but revenge is sweet, gurrrl. Moral of the story: Don't bribe people, kids!

Moving on to my topic for today's post, what I like least about writing (which also happens to be the reason I haven't posted in a long while). I hate the ever-present speculation on what other's will think of it. I know that that is really not what I should be thinking about while writing, but sometimes I can't help it. It becomes so discouraging and it inhibits my writing to the point where I just stop.

In terms of this blog, I see the posts from my gurrrls and they are all so good and amusing and I look at mine and get discouraged because they aren't as good. This leads to me shooting down every idea I come up with to blog about, which leads to me not having anything to blog about, which leads to no posts from me. It is a very convoluted and self-destructive process.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who goes through this in their writing, but I think we should all stop. When writing, the most important person that needs to enjoy the writing is the writer. We shouldn't let ourselves get psyched out based on the work or the opinions of others. I'm going to work on this, and if any of you readers have this problem, you should work on it, too.

Hopefully I'll get my act together and get back to regular, weekly posts! Until then, may the odds be ever in your favor! Goodbye! (I am in a very Hunger Games mood right now, what with the movie coming out in a week after waiting for years and years. Sorry, Mandy.)

-Amy

Author: Cory Doctorow

1 comment:

  1. But unlike other bribes, this one actually works on the four of you!

    You're also not the only one who get discouraged about writing and ends up blowing off posts. Do you not know me? Look at my post from last week and you'll see that I just posted a random video about writing.

    ~ Mandy

    ReplyDelete