Monday, February 20, 2012

Lazy-Eye Moody

So lately I have been in a funk. I was sick a little while back and cannot get rid of this cough! But I haven't really had a chance to rest to help it anyway. Not that it is a bad thing though. I've have been full steam ahead working on wedding stuff. Friday I met with my decorators, Saturday my bridesmaids picked out their dresses, Sunday was spent making "what's left" lists and organizing the rest of the payments due. It's been run run run. And it continues to be that way with school. Three tests this week. Fun stuff. Interestingly enough, I have been lazy as well. I wake up and have to convince myself that I can take a nap later just so I will get out of bed and go to class. I hardly ever have time to take said nap, but it seems to be good motivation at the time.

However, in the middle of everything I continue to work on my story. When I have an idea I immediately write it down. But I don't marry it. I just keep it in case I want to use it. For instance, I have three versions of a background story for some of the supporting characters. I don't know which one I like more or if I like a combination. Point it, I have them handy. If I am in class I will flip to a lean page in my notebook and write. If I don't have paper I will make notes on my smart phone. I usually have one of the two, but if I don't I search for the nearest substitute. I love some of the things I learn about my characters and I don't want to lose any of it. So there is my advice. Write whatever comes to mind, whether it makes sense or not. You can always edit and cut and paste. That's what writing is in my idea. It is a story that is continually edited. Whether you publish or not, continue to edit.

On the other hand, with this blog I never edit. I may spell check, but I just let the words flow usually. That is why they seem a little disconnected sometimes. I try to make them flow into something pretty but they usually end up like scribbles in my head. But it does help. It helps me get out what I have been thinking writing wise. And it helps to see what my other gurrrls are thinking about. I am so glad I decided to do this blog with them. It may end up veering away from writing sometimes but I always try to bring it back with some connective lesson. So here is the second one for the day that ties in with the first: keep some kind of journal. I know this has been written about before, but siriusly :) DO IT! It really does help. Even if it is just the place where all your story idea are put. Mine is this blog. I already explained why so I will not be redundant. Instead, I will stop my ramblings and go to sleep. Got a test tomorrow morning and a dinner for my fiance's work tomorrow night. Like I said: run run run!! But I should be able to squeeze in a nap between the dinner and my business law class. Yeah...that will work...

Author: Cory Doctorow (I get this guy a lot. I need to read his stuff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment